[THIN] Re: CSG and NFuse question - What if?

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:23:09 -0800

Hi Brian,

A. NFuse box should talk with outside world ports 80 and 443, since initial
communication happens unsecured through port 80. It is inconvenient to start
on any other port prior to authentication over port 443. With only port 443
you will have to use redirection from another web server that starts user on
port 80.

B. Obviously CSG can be set to work on most any port but there is a
problem... Your client accessing CSG is very likely to have his own
firewall, so port 9999 might be blocked. Conclusion: keep 443 for CSG.

C. Placing STA on inside with port 90 is inconvenient - more work, since you
have to open additional inbound port 90 on your internal firewall. As I have
mentioned previously, there is little or no risk to place STA on DMZ as long
as it is not visible to outside. STA's task is to generate tickets and
verify them. There is no sensitive information stored on STA server and it
is only open to denial of service attacks. I will not even encrypt STA
traffic; however port 443 is better as compared to 90.

Again, save some money by placing STA on multi-homed NFuse box (or protect
STA directory by access list on single-homed NFuse).

D. Important aspect of securing CSG and NFuse deployment is ENCRYPTION OF
XML TRAFFIC - you will need additional certificate to do that. That
certificate can be homegrown, since XML service is running on the local
network. As such, you will have port 443 open for XML service.

Conclusion:
Only ports 80 and 443 are open on outside and inside layer of DMZ

ALEX