[THIN] CPU speed: buy fasted/hottest or buy slowest/coolest

  • From: "Armstrong, David D." <DArmstrong@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 14:14:59 -0500

Hi-
We are going to buy a big batch of IBM 8853 Quad-core bladeservers.  My
colleague and I can't agree which model to choose from.
3 ghz           1333 FSB        120W
2 ghz           1333 FSB         80W
1.86 ghz        1066 FSB         50W

I think we should buy the fastest CPU available, just on principle.  He thinks
we should buy the lowest-power CPU (1.86 Ghz) we can get away with.  Our
current servers, typically run less than 30% utilization.  These new servers
will host 40-50 users with desktop sessions and Pub. Apps.

What do you all think?

thanks
Dave

This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure,
dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. As
required by federal and state laws, you need to hold this information as
privileged and confidential. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender and destroy all copies of this communication and any
attachments.