[THIN] Re: CAG AAC 4.2 fallback connection policies

  • From: "Jeff Pitsch" <jepitsch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:22:35 -0400

But if something is causing the continuous filter to fail, wouldn't you want
to err on the side of caution and reauthenticate the user?  Isn't the fact
that the watermark you have chosen has been compromised mean you may want to
be extra cautious?  They would have access to minimal resources based upon
when they authenticate again.  Does that make sense?  To me, if a watermark
fails (in this case a continuous scan filter) i wouldn't trust that the
person who logged in is still the person at the console.  Why did it fail?
I've always been burned by 'assuming' and in this case your assuming the
watermark failing is nothing to worry about.

As for you scenario of going from valid workstation to kiosk, that's what
the EPA's are for.  I guess I'm confused as to why you wouldn't have a
failsafe access policy that ONLY gives the bare minimum if nothing can be
validated.

Again, if our continuous scan is failing why is it failing?  Why are you
getting so many helpdesk calls?  Is it possible your watermark is not the
best possible choice?  As well, why not simply put an EPA on the policy if
that is what will make it work?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but really trying to understand the
reasoning and maybe, just possibly, maybe it will help you.

Jeff Pitsch
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Forums not enough?
Get support from the experts at your business
http://jeffpitschconsulting.com