[THIN] CA Etrust 8.1 AV

  • From: "George Wasgatt" <gwasgatt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:32:48 -0400

 This is actually a follow up to my post of last week about slow logins.  At
the time we thought it did not have anything to do with our AV software but
it did.  Thank for all the other suggestions though.  The upshot of it was
that we decided to upgrade our AV software (we were a bit behind).  We
installed CA eTust 8.1 on the terminal servers (Windows 2003, MF 4.0) and
that turned out to be problematic.  I researched and found that we are not
the first to run into issues with this version of the software.
Specifically:

http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=75
<http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=75&threadID=91066&tsta
rt=75> &threadID=91066&tstart=75

This thread implies that there are start up issues between Citrix and the
eTrust.  Two of our servers had error messages after their nightly reboot
(the day after eTrust was upgraded).

Cannot load illegal module: M:\WINDOWS\system32\vdtw30.DLL.

Cannot load illegal module: M:\WINDOWS\system32\TSDDD.DLL.

The server that failed to load vdtw30.dll appeared to be operating normally.
The server that failed to load tsddd.dll could not successfully log anyone
in to use any published applications - although it tried to and left users
hanging.  I rebooted this server and it came up OK.  So now we have to watch
these servers and see if CA has an update or fix for us.

A third server came up OK with no errors but isn't taking any logins via
load balancing.  If I point a published application to only this server then
the server accepts the login and works normally.  The server will not
respond to any other attempted login via a load balanced published
application.  Any suggestions on what I could look at?  I could always just
reload the server from scratch if it gets too complicated.

AV Engine 31.1.0.0

AV signature 31.1.5124.0

Signature last updated 9/11/07