[THIN] Re: Branch Repeater v Riverbeds

  • From: Chris Grecsek <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:22:19 -0800

Hi Stuart,

I can't provide an opinion/comparison between branch repeater vs riverbed but I
can make a suggestion on a different possible option in trying to fix your
problem.

Take a look at the Akamai network as they have a solution that optimizes
ICA/HDX and helps with the end user performance issues caused by latency and
packet loss.

They don't alter physics either but its a bit like sending your traffic down a
worm hole. :)

On Feb 11, 2013, at 12:30 AM, "Stuart Thompson"
<stuthompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:stuthompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hello list!

Apologies for not playing an active role in the years i've been following the
list... however, I turn to you for assistance now and if anyone can offer some
guidance, i'm sure i'll be able to find it here.

ENVIRONMENT:
I'm faced with high latency from Asia region to Central Europe. From 250ms
upwards. Available bandwidth is currently not an issue.
Users connect to a VDI Windows 7 desktop from Asia to Europe.

PROBLEM:
Users have mixed experience with keyboard and mouse latency. (lag,
slowness...etc etc)

BASIC SETUP: (network device)
Currently using Riverbeds v 6.5 and look to v7.0 soon. (v8 out of scope atm)

QUESTIONS:
Although i'm not setting out to change physics ;o) i'm really interested to
know if anyone has used Branch Repeater instead of Riverbed for this kind of
user experience to any level of success.

Also, I am very new to Branch Repeater...  any tips or gotachas for testing
such a device.  I can replicate the latency with a Network Nightmare device.

Any help is greatly appreciated...
Cheers All -  Stu