[THIN] Re: Best way to set-up user registry

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:50:22 -0000

Comments inline.

By that do you mean CLIENTNAME?

> Terminal specific default search parameters

Are these derivable, or specific to many different terminals?

> Terminal specific printer settings for various aspects of the software

Again, are these derivable, or vary widely?

> >What sort of domain do you have? AD, or an NT domain?
>
> NT currently but I believe at some point, no idea when, our
> I.T. wish to move to AD

Ah, well. I was sort of wondering if you used AD, if it could be the
repository for this information.

> >> The former would lead to hundreds of reg files and the latter
> >> would mean a custom written app/script to access the database
> >> and set the registry.
> >
> >I'm curious as to what needs to be accessed from the database.
>
> I was envisaging a record that was found using the CLIENTNAME
> environment variable and then fields giving me the settings
> mentioned above, I could then set the HKCU registry appropriately.

I guess my angle is trying to establish whether you truly need the extra
step of having an additional database for settings, or whether there was
some way you could derive it, or use some kind of logical conditions.

But if you have individual settings for many different terminals, you
may have no choice.

> >> Which would you go for? Can I extract data from say an
> >> MSAccess database using VBScript/WSH instead of writing a
> >> custom app?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> Great!
>
> >> Should I use a different database?
>
> >Unclear.
>
> >What's going to be in the database? And why is it a database?
>
> See above for what, the why is because I could have several
> hundred or even up to a thousand devices that I need to cope
> with and a database with a record for each seemed the way to go to me!
>
> I stand to be corrected however!
>
> One last thing, this application while it runs in the
> terminal server environment was not written for it!

The application you are talking about, though, and the database for
terminal settings are two distinct and different things?

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html