[THIN] Best way to deal with Printers at different locations and travelling exec's

  • From: "Craig Cameron" <craig.cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:57:56 +0100

Any ideas you guys have would be helpful.

Scenario :

WAN - 9 sites.

Central site has multiple Terminal Servers(2K) to which clients at each site
connect(RDP).

Printers at each site are on own print servers.

Security settings for printers set by user groups/OU for location members.

i.e. Sheffield users can only see Sheffield printers.

Problem : We have a number of Corporate users who travel from site to site.
Using security groups we can give them either - No access to any of the
printers, or access to all printers at all sites regardless of where they log
on (this has resulted in confidential documents being printed at another
site!!) - Users are losers. Nuff said.

Anyway, we have tried to use logon scripts (we can pick out the location easily
by IP address) to add and remove the printers dynamically on location but this
tends to be a little unreliable.

Question is should I persist with logon scripts as being the only way or is
there a simple or complicated alternative that I've missed???

Any help much appreciated.

Craig

This e-Mail is confidential and is intended for the addressee only.  If you are
not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use any information
contained in it.  If you received this e-Mail in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete the document.  This e-Mail is for information
purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon or used as a substitute for
the medical advice of physicians.  Specific advice should always be sought on
any individual matter, in particular matters relating to the addressee's health
and any symptoms that may require diagnosis or medical attention.
This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html