[THIN] Re: Backup of DC

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:44:29 -0500

Hmm. Lets look at this a little:

The only Citrix box I have backed up at this time, is my data collector,
and of course the Data Store (separate SQL backup).

[Ron] Ok why backup the ZDC instead of anything else? I guess my
question really is what is your recovery/deployment process for these
servers anyway. Is it backup and restore?

They want to know exactly what needs to be backed up.

[Ron] Good idea.. on a ZDC there is no data in file format.. its in ram.
The ZDC stores its current info in RAM so there is nothing special about
a DC other than it being a ZDC

Files and directories.  Right now I have them backing up the entire
server, reg. and all.  Better safe than sorry, right?

[Ron]

Sure. I don't backup my Citrix servers. Some people do but its pretty
much a waiste when there are simpler ways to deploy and recover the
boxes. Since you keep no data on the boxes then I would just image them
or come up with a scripted build process. Have the backup team back up
your images and images of your boot disks etc...

Ron Oglesby

Senior Technical Architect

RapidApp

Office 312.372.7188

Mobile 815.325.7618

email roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx

My backup team is going through and cleaning up what does/doesn't get
backed up.  The only Citrix box I have backed up at this time, is my
data collector, and of course the Data Store (separate SQL backup).
They want to know exactly what needs to be backed up.  Files and
directories.  Right now I have them backing up the entire server, reg.
and all.  Better safe than sorry, right?

What are your suggestions?

Chad Schneider
Technology Analyst
Bemis IT