[THIN] Re: Azure or EC2?

  • From: Andrew Wood <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 21:43:45 -0000

Indeed. The cloud billing model is, as Brian points out, geared towards
PaaS not IaaS.  Consider:-

* Where does your image customisation come from?

* how do your services join your domain?

* where are the SQL services going to be?

* how does the cloud network interaction work with your cloud? Does it need
to?

There is a significant cost saving if you down servers and keep the image
in storage: is it possible to automate that “tepid standby” recovery? I’ve
not found a good way yet L

Azure did/do a free 3 month hosting plan:  ideal for testing. I managed to
burn through that capacity in a long weekend with 5 XenApp capable servers
when I forgot to  turn them off. MS sent me a letter L I’ve looked at
hosting a whole platform in a couple of sites and **always** works out more
expensive than (say) talking to your friendly hosting provider.

Also no Netscaler for Azure as yet (although there is for Amazon). Ask
yourself – how **can** you operate without Netscaler ;)

Jim Moyle & Rick Dehlonger did some work on this subject back in 2010.
Their work was presented in a number of sessions on and around
Cloudbursting:

http://www.jimmoyle.com/tag/cloudbursting/

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/videos/archive/2010/08/27/Cloudbursting-XenApp_3A00_-Hype-or-Reality_3F002C00_-a-video-from-BriForum-2010.aspx

A lot the questions they asked then still find themselves in need of
answering

It’d be an interesting topic to revisit.

If anyone would like to sponsor someone to do that, I can be reassuringly
expensive…