[THIN] Auto-created NDS client printers

  • From: "Joe Mulhall" <Joe.Mulhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:16:51 +0000

Hi,

The problem I'm having is with the username portion of the auto-created =
client printer name, which is a NetWare username and so appears as =
tree-username.context.  This is abridged to 11 characters of the username =
and context somehow to give a printer name:

Client\tree-abridgedusername-abcdef#/Printername

The problem is with the string of random alphanumerics (abcdef n my =
example) before the printer name.  These have been constant for months, =
then yesterday I noticed that one of these auto-created client printers =
had changed but only in respect of the random alphanumerics. Another three =
users have been affected today.

However it seems (no evidence yet) that when they subsequently log on the =
printer name changes back to it's original name...

The reason this is important is because of the LPD server running which =
requires manually setting the printer for redirection and if the name =
changes I have to change the server setup too.

Anyone seen this before?  Can anyone explain how/why Citrix generates =
these random strings?

This is on Win2K SP2, MFXP FR2 SP2.
Cheers.

Regards,