[THIN] Re: Auditing file usage

  • From: "Stephen Taylor" <Stephen.Taylor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:10:48 +0100

Thanks to who replied.

It is just to audit one applications exe file, to see if the application is
still being used.

Thanks

Stephen

                      "Mark CALLEJA"

                      <Mark.CALLEJA@dhw        To:       thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      .wa.gov.au>              cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [THIN] Re: Auditing
file usage
                      thin-bounce@freel

                      ists.org

                      16/10/2003 12:20

                      Please respond to

                      thin

Steven

Don't forget if you only need to find out who is using what file
FILEMON.EXE from sysinternals.com.  This is a real time only option if you
wish to log access for "other" reasons (ie security audit requirements)
then the suggestion from Neil is the easiest option.  Do not forget to
increase your security log file size they will fill up real quick
especially if you have to log large portions of you CTX machines.

HTH
Mk

Mark Calleja
Coordinator Network Systems
Network Systems
Dept Housing and Works
(08) 9222 4941
mark.calleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 16/10/2003 18:42:30 >>>
Are you talking about files on a file server - or files on a particular
Citrix server?

If the local Citrix server, unless a very small implementation, I'd
question access to local file by users, anyways (unless we are talking
about programs).

But assuming NTFS and Windows 2000, then answer is yes - although you'll
probably have to turn on auditing (in general) via policy. Then you'd
have to set SACLs (the effective mirror of DACLs for auditing) on the
appropriate objects (in this case, file or directories).

I have (in the past) struggled to effectively script modifications to
SACLs - but at the time, I mainly gave up due to there not being a glut
of info on the subject (or at least that which I found at the time).

But assuming you have enabled auditing - you set SACLs in much the same
way (through the GUI) that you would set permissions on a file / folder.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

This Week's Sponsor - Emergent Online
Essential Thin Client Utilities.
Meet Jim Kenzig of thethin.net at the Emergent Online
Booth #24 at Citrix iForum on October 13th.
http://www.go-eol.com

This Week's Sponsor - Emergent Online
Essential Thin Client Utilities.
Meet Jim Kenzig of thethin.net at the Emergent Online
Booth #24 at Citrix iForum on October 13th.
http://www.go-eol.com

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended or authorised
recipient please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of
this message