[THIN] Re: Assistance....those using Thin Clients (WYSE/Compaq)

  • From: "Jim Kenzig Kenzig.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:55:44 -0800 (PST)

We've gone full circle..been using thin clients for years and we keep running
out of disk space to do the patching or add IE plugins.  For this reason we are
back to looking at PC's with a hard disk.  Have a look at the Dell SX280, we
will probably be going with this, even though it is a full fledged PC it is
only 10 pounds and a very small form factor. Why oh why can't HP do this?

JK

"Schneider, Chad M" <> wrote:

I finally have management looking seriously at replacing some of our Deskpro
2000/4000's with thin clients.

Mentality up until recently was to spend a few bucks more and get a full PC.

Big thing I am wondering about is patching of the thin clients.  IE, OS, etc.
Some machines we have rebuilt as DOS clients, which allows us to avoid such
client side patching.  No Virus Scan, no M$ patches, etc.

I see Linux thins, I see XP SP2 thins, I see CE thins....., Windows based
clients have IE6, now, I would assume that things like XP, IE, even CE would
still need patching.  If so, does the use of the management software make this
more feasible?

Forgive my ignorance on this issue.

Chad M. Schneider
Technology Analyst
Bemis Company, Inc.
920-303-7609
"Just because you can, does not mean that you should."