[THIN] Assistance....those using Thin Clients (WYSE/Compaq)

  • From: "Schneider, Chad M" <CMSchneider@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:49:32 -0600

I finally have management looking seriously at replacing some of our Deskpro
2000/4000's with thin clients.

Mentality up until recently was to spend a few bucks more and get a full PC.

Big thing I am wondering about is patching of the thin clients.  IE, OS,
etc.  Some machines we have rebuilt as DOS clients, which allows us to avoid
such client side patching.  No Virus Scan, no M$ patches, etc.

I see Linux thins, I see XP SP2 thins, I see CE thins....., Windows based
clients have IE6, now, I would assume that things like XP, IE, even CE would
still need patching.  If so, does the use of the management software make
this more feasible?

Forgive my ignorance on this issue.

Chad M. Schneider
Technology Analyst
Bemis Company, Inc.
920-303-7609
"Just because you can, does not mean that you should."