[THIN] Re: Application benchmarking

  • From: Berny Stapleton <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:03:46 +0100

At the moment, I am guessing that a number of the applications in the farm are going to get moved to different hardware as we rebuild, but I figure if I can get 25 users on a P3 1 Gig, then I should be pretty safe getting say 40 users on a P4 Xeon 2.8 Gig. (Obviously providing that the Disk and Mem allow for it)

Yes, its more a question of server scaling, and server capacity more than what is the end user experience. I know that I can look at the counters such as CPU queue legnth and look at the disk activity and make sure that the server isn't overloaded, but the question is, is there specific software that people use? Or is there certain counters that people use for looking at what an application is doing?

Berny

Quoting "Timothy R. Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Berny,

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  Are you trying to
determine server scale (can I add more users or do I need another server),
determine impact of a given application on the server, or try to determine
the "end user experience" using that application?