[THIN] Re: Application Distribution

  • From: "Mark CALLEJA" <Mark.CALLEJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:03:45 +0800

Having worked with both and migrated from Desktop to Pub apps - Pub apps
all the way.  For us it works really well as we do realtime upgrades for
several products something we were never able to do with a Pub Desktop.
We have however "joined" like applications to groups of servers ie
office servers including Records management, email, Office products etc.
 We also designed the farm to enable the failure of at least one server
in a particular group and allow the continued running of an app with
very minor performance hit.  Separating the apps has helped greatly with
DLL contention as we had several apps that liked to fight over dlls.  In
designing the location of apps take some time to think about the
integration of office products (ie excel and word) as this can cause
some grey hairs.  We have loaded up excel on one group of servers to
allow the applications to export info but we only publish excel from the
"office" servers.

HTH'
Mk

Mark Calleja
Coordinator Network Systems
Network Systems
Dept Housing and Works
(08) 9222 4941
mark.calleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't"

>>> grecsek@xxxxxxxxxxx 17/06/2004 12:56:14 >>>
As we're building/rolling out our farm we're trying to figure out the
best
way to distribute our applications in the farm.

We use a fairly standard mix of apps: MS Office, IE, Acrobat, etc.
Nothing
exotic or complicated but we do have some heavy hitters like Photoshop
and
Illustrator (Adobe apps are bears). So the question is, what is better
for
performance and scalability - putting all the apps on each server and
simply
keep adding more servers as more users come on the system or have
dedicated
servers for a similar application set; for instance, a few servers with
only
the MS Office suite, a few with the heavy duty Adobe apps, etc.?

2004 is the Year of the Built Environment
For more information, please go to www.builtenvironment2004.wa.gov.au

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html