[THIN] Re: Application Compatibility

  • From: "Schneider, Chad M." <CMSchneider@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:53:52 -0500

Not quite offline....

:)

  _____

From: Tim Mangan [mailto:tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 2:31 PM
To: Jennifer.Henske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jennifer,

I'm sending this offline.

Chances are the reason the list is old is that the group responsible for the
list is no longer at Citrix.  Blame the economy, I guess!

Unfortunately, the adage "if you don't test it yourself, it isn't tested"
will apply here.  Often problems that appear are quite specific to the
combination of apps (and specific revisions) that will put on a server.  The
items you mention are good start for verifying an app in isolation.  To your
list I add problems with other "presumed" unique resources such as private
data files, named pipes, and mail slots then tend to fail when the second
copy starts.

Just because app A works, doesn't mean that installing app B won't break it.
The combinations usually have problems due to dll issues.  I treat databases
as a separate category.  Each Client has a unique way to locate the
database, each requiring unique kludges to allow access to different
databases from the same machine.

<Pitch starts here...>
I have heard that you finally have funding for some major upgrade work over
there.  If you have not already considered Softricity to solve the app
conflict issues, you should.  It is a TS/Citrix add on that solves
compatibility issues -  allowing apps to run as if they are on their own
individual server.  This solves the generic problem of a desktop app on a
TS, solves the multi-app with different dll issues, allows different
versions of an app on the same server (like oracle 7 AND oracle 8), and can
solve the different users/apps connecting to different database back end
issues.

I don't sell the stuff, but do have the contacts at Softricity if you need
them.  In the end, perhaps I might end up being useful once you start
working with the system and need help with preparing some applications.  I
do a bit of consulting in that regard
<... end pitch>

tim
Timothy R. Mangan