[THIN] Re: Application Availability

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:32:07 +0100

Comments inline...

I have to say it shouldn't happen - driver code is one thing, but
applications shouldn't crash the OS.

> >> There are many hospitals
> >>    Application loads.  Single applications can have
> >> 200-300 concurrent users a piece.
>
> >And it's extremely unlikely you'll get a single TS / Citrix
> server to
> >run that 200-300 concurrent users.
>
> No, they are not on a single server... That's the point,
> there are 7-10 servers allocated for one application set.
> There is no point in bogging them down further with
> additional applications.

Hang on a minute - then what are we arguing about?

The only reason I was making these points was regarding running an
application, or set of applications on merely one server, in response to
this that you wrote???? :-

"If the application set is isolated on it's own server then a scheduled
logoff ica-tcp is all that is needed."

See the phrase "own server" - note the singular.

> >But the flipside of it being that if an app is just
> published / present
> >on one server, and that server goes down, no app.
>
> That is why an application is installed on several servers
> and load-balanced.  I stated that there is nothing wrong with
> a server hosting a single application, but I never said
> anything about only a single server.

Um, yes you did - which is the only reason I made the points I did - see
above!

> >>    Application maintenance.  Different application sets
> >> have different maintenance schedules.
>
> >Agreed - I'm not against partitioning farms with applications (or
> >application sets) in mind - merely that just having one
> server for an
> >app certainly restricts your options, and resiliency.
>
> How so?  Applications sets are across multiple servers.

That's not what you said, though.

You may have meant it, but it's not what you said - and that's the only
reason.

I think we are in aggreement, actually.

It doesn't make sense to simply run an application on one server, but it
can make sense to run a singular application across more than one
server.

The latter, doesn't say anything logically about the former.

> >> Taking one application
> >> offline and booting off the users should not affect access to
> >> other applications.  (Remember this is a 24/7 shop)
>
> >That's no reason to just publish it (or have it present) on
> one server,
> >though - in fact it gives you a compelling argument to *not* just
> >publish (/ install) it on one server.
>
> Again, the applications sets are redundant across multiple
> servers.  Again single application, not single server.

Good.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.