[THIN] Re: AppV 5 madness

  • From: James Scanlon <scanjam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thin <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 02:49:59 +1000

So after much testing the only thing that seems to work for these troublesome
APPV5 apps is of the package installation source is moved to the D drive of the
servers.
All other tests have failed, GPO changes to autoload, deleting the registry
appv package registry keys, running the script to getpackages - all then remove
all .....everything manually clearing the c:\programdata\app-v folder, and
anythign else i could find to 'clear the local cache' and have the client
'start again'
It works fine on the server the Appv client was installed on originally (but
then aain that server is running in read write mode)its like there is a issue
with the package source and server cloning, but again only with these specific
applications (sql server 2008 r2 console, winzip 18, work on the first launch
on the server only - from then on its dead server wide) other more simple apps
like winzip9 etc carry on working everytime
So ideally id like to NOT move the appv cache to the d drive give Joe's warning
below, but ideally i wouldnt save stuff to the persistent disk anyway...
Is there a special process to clone the client that im missing? or do i need to
log a call with MS? Thanks all for your assistance so far!!!!!
scanjam! :)

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:12:56 -0700
Subject: [THIN] Re: thin Digest V13 #49
From: joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We stated to do this with AppV 4.x and it would corrupt the persistent disk
over time.  Best thing to do is to clear the cache when you reseal and users
will stream the app the first time someone accesses it.  It really doesn't have
an impact and it's less tweaking and modification that has to be done and
maintained.

Joe

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Ben Pelzer <Ben.Pelzer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi James,

I had the same issue

I solved it by redirecting the App-V cache to the D-drive (D:\App-V),

using a server policy and the App-V admx file

After this all the issues were gone

I also use a script that runs at server shutdown (using AppSense EM) to

clean the App-V cache so no old info remains

Cheers,

Ben

On 21-04-2014 20:05, "thin-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

<thin-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Msg: #1 in digest

>From: James Scanlon <scanjam@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>Subject: [THIN] Re: APPV 5.0 (SCM and Publishing Server), PVS 7 and XA6.5

>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 04:04:52 +1000

>Please anyone if you have advice or suggestions id love to hear them...

>still having quite a few issues this way and it seems most people are

>baking the app-v apps into the image? I simply want PVS image with app-v

>streaming / 'full infrastructure mode'..... :)I saw something about

>moving the package root outside of the image to the pvs static / cache

>disk? is that a good idea?Cheersscanjam

Met vriendelijke groet,

drs. Ben Pelzer

Principal Consultant

E-mail: Ben.Pelzer@xxxxxxxxxxx

Amerikalaan 90 - 6199 AE  Maastricht-Airport

Tel: +31 43 850 7000

Fax: +31 43 352 1718

Internet: www.openline.nl