[THIN] Re: App only works from server console

  • From: "Jeremy Saunders" <Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:38:43 +1100

This is the problem I had a few months ago, so I wrote an article to explain it
correctly. It might be the same as your issue.

“YourApp” would not run as a User or even Power Users on the Citrix servers.
Only an Administrator would work. I was unable to track down specific file
system (using filemon) or registry (using regmon) permission issues, so I
enabled the logging of privilege and object usage failures in the Audit Policy.
This then showed a privilege failure due to the user not having the
SeCreateGlobalPrivilege user right. To be able to run “YourApp” users require
the ability to do "CreateFileMapping" in the "Global\" namespace under Windows
2003 with a non-admin user logged in to a terminal service session. This fails
since creating a file mapping object in the global Terminal Services sessions
namespace (from a session other than session zero) requires the
SeCreateGlobalPrivilege privilege. This privilege is enabled by default for
administrators, services, and the local system account. So all “YourApp” users
need the "Create Global Objects" User Right (SeCreateGlobalPrivilege). Added
the "MYDOMAIN\YourApp Users" to the "Create global objects" User Rights
Assignment in the Citrix Server Group Policy Object. You could also do this
locally on each server using the NTRights.exe Resource Kit Utility. The command
would be...

ntrights.exe -u " MYDOMAIN\YourApp Users " +r SeCreateGlobalPrivilege

So easily resolved and explained in the end with some good old debugging.

Cheers,

Jeremy.