[THIN] Re: Any thoughts about this?

  • From: "Matt Kosht" <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:32:22 -0400

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Andrew Wood
<andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> v6 of the RDP protocol supports server authentication (although I'd expect
> only to a W2k3 server) – which would mitigate against the attack that was
> described against v5.2 as you have to verify the identity of the server
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26f11f0c-0d18-4306-abcf-d4f18c8f5df9&DisplayLang=en)
>

> Although, to me, that'd mean you'd put your RDP connection raw out onto the
> internet/external network and that doesn't sound pretty from a security
> point of view – that said people've been doing that for years, and are still
> doing it now
> (http://www.citrixthings.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=1)
>

> :?

Ditto. Most of the DoS and Man in the Middle attacks on RDP rely on
3389 being open to the internet. You'd have to be slightly nuts to
open 3389 directly thru a firewall. There is(was?) a util called
tsgrinder from hammerofgod.com that you could brute force RDP access
with this port also. Used to work swell on Windows 2000 Term Servers
and XP clients with Remote Desktop turned on.  Don't know about
2003/2003R2/2008 though.
If the original poster's client is concerned tell them to use a VPN to
secure the RDP traffic better. If Citrix is an option use Citrix
Secure Gateway or the like.