[THIN] Re: Antivirus

  • From: "Brent Strignano" <brent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:29:12 -0500

All,

We also use CA AV and I'm happy with it.
Some of the things I like:
Their licensing is by seat only but covers all of their AV products
under it. We use the desktop, exchange, and gateway av proxy, it is all
covered under our single license.
Two av engines are included. We use one on our desktops and the other on
our exchange and gw proxy.
Ver 7.2 does detect terminal services. and wont run realmon unless you
are logged in as the admin, if that's how you configure it.
You can preconfigure all settings, including turning off the splash
screen during the push install to the client. You can also create
multiple "settings" files for different groups of computers when you
install.
Its tiny and fast.
We have also made great use of the remote configuration abilities. We
have turned one machine in each office into a distribution server so all
other clients pull updates from it. We also push settings updates to
exclude dirs and processes as necessary.
I like the centralized reporting.
Their tech support has always been helpful, and spoke English as a first
language.

Some things I don't like:
No late build Linux support. RH9 is that latest supported build, last
time I checked. No source download and build yourself either.
You cant push single driver or program updates with the push installer
without resending the entire installation. Instead we use Kixstart, but
will soon switch to SMS to do program updates.
Their definition files are never first out of the gate for newly
discovered viruses. Also one engine might receive updates hours after
the other. CA says there are different teams working separately for each
engine and that accounts for the difference.
Some virus names are different for each engine. Same reason as above.
When they purchased pest patrol I had hoped they would integrate that
functionality into their AV. Nope, separate product and license.
Their patches are confusing, some have .exe installers some are these
weird .caz (zip) files that you need to manually extract and copy into
the program directory yourself.

Hope this helps,

Brent