[THIN] Re: Anti-Virus?

  • From: Matt Kosht <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:54:11 -0800

Been using Endpoint Protection for several years now with XenApp and
desktop PCs.  It can be managed and rolled out easily IF you have System
Center Config Mgr (SCCM) which it's effectively bundled with anyway. It
will remove most other AV products as part of it's installation. We used at
to remove Trend Micro AV at a company I worked for.  Tuning the AV (like
turning off real-time scanning for some operations, limiting to incoming
files, not scheduling scans, excluding key folders used by XD, etc) would
definitely skinny down the IOPS/resources required to run it.  More here
http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/09/22/citrix-consolidated-list-of-antivirus-exclusions/

AV as a whole offers little real protection or increased security in my
opinion. With a tightly managed XD VM that is well maintained/locked down
I have often wondered if it's even worth running at all. Technology like
Bromium vSentry are the future of protecting endpoints not AV.

-Matt