[THIN] Re: Another TS Licensing Question

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:45:37 -0500

> Ok, so this all leads to another question.  The Terminal
> Server in question is in one domain, and the TS Licensing
> should be installed on the DC in THAT domain.  BUT, the
> clients access this are in another site in the UK, which is a
> separate physical site within AD.  Do I also need to install
> it on a DC in their site?

It depends. To quote from the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Deployment
Planning Guide, Chapter 16 ("Deploying Terminal Services"), page 594,
under "Enabling a License Server":

"There are two types of license servers, a domain license server and an
enterprise license server." (A later note says that a domain license
server in an NT 4.0 domain can be installed on ANY server, not just on a
DC. However, in a Windows 2000 domain, the license server MUST be on a
DC).

"A domain license server is appropriate if you want to maintain a
separate license server for each domain. If you have workgroups or
Windows NT 4.0 domains, a domain license server is the only type that
you can install."

"An enterprise license server can server Terminal servers in any domain
within a site, but the domain must be a Windows 2000 domain. It can only
serve Terminal servers in the same site. ... Enterprise license servers
can only be installed using Add/Remove Programs, not during Windows 2000
setup".

So, if you have Windows 2000 domains ("native mode" domains, they are
sometimes called), then you should be running TS License servers in
enterprise mode on a domain controller, and they can handle Terminal
servers in the same site. If you have Windows NT 4.0 domains (or "mixed
mode" domains) then you have to have a license server in each domain
that has a Terminal server.

Note that there is no consideration of where the CLIENTS are. Licensing
occurs between the licensing server and the Terminal server. It doesn't
matter where the clients are.

Hope that helps!!
http://www.go-eol.com