[THIN] Advice designing RDS setup as VMs

  • From: Michael Leone <oozerdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 15:16:16 -0500

So I am about to start rolling out new servers for my RDS
implementation. These are going to be Win 2012 servers. I have a
published application that is needed by about 75 users total (altho
probably not more than 40 or so simultaneously). These are VMware VMs,
running on ESXi 5.1 U1.

Here is what I am thinking:

3 session hosts. 4 vCPU, 2 cores. 12G. Application(s) installed on D:
drive (there really will only be 1 application, which is a fat client
front end to a database).

1 web access, 4 vCOU, 2 cores, 8G RAM.

So, my questions (to start):

1. Should that web access host also be the session broker and
licensing server? Or should the broker and licensing be on it's own
server?
2. The web access host should be providing load balancing between the
3 session hosts. I don't know how to set that up. Anybody got any good
newbie HOWTOs. etc?

Thoughts? I think the session hosts should be configured properly (in
terms of specs). I am not sure about the location of those supporting
services (session broker and licensing). And the only load balancing I
am familiar with is multiple NICs in one server, which is a whole
different kind of load balancing. :-) This would be more "application
load balancing", I guess. I'm told that 1 web access host should be
enough.

I have tested the application on smaller test VMs, and it works. Now I
need to scale up.

This is replacing a Citrix Presentation Manager 4.5 setup, BTW.

I'm sure more details are required, and I'm happy to provide them.