[THIN] Re: Adding servers in another location

  • From: "Brian Madden" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:06:42 -0400

To me, this is the textbook perfect reason to use NFuse/WI or PNAgent. :-)
Of course I understand that this is not your case and that you're using MF
1.8.

As you mention, adding the servers to the current farm would be the easiest
in terms of a seamless experience for the users. However, with MF 1.8,
you'll have to set up an ICA gateway, etc, etc..  How do your users
currently get their application lists?  If it's via UDP broadcasts, you're
kind of stuck if your new farm is on a different subnet--in this case you'll
need to update each user's pn.ini file.  If, by chance, you clients are
looking for the "ica" DNS entry (the default for http+tcp server locations),
then you can just modify your DNS tables..

Bottom line, though, is that you'll probably have to modify the INI files of
your clients.

Brian

Brian Madden
202.302.3657
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--------
Visit www.brianmadden.com for thin client white papers, books, product
reviews, courseware, and training videos.