[THIN] Re: A question about Server Sizing....

  • From: Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:10:44 -0400

We have an Access 2000 Front End Database (around 15megs in size) that links
to a SQL backend on another server.  Currently ~10 users at a given time use
it and each user in the database uses roughly 50 megs of RAM for that
application alone.  The processing hasn't been too much of an issue.
However, you have more consecutive user use for many applications and I
think you'd be pushing it to put that kind of loan on 1 server.  Things are
going to get slow, especially if that Access front end gets large.  IF you
have no budget for a new server, perhaps you can explore moving any of the
full desktop PCs off citrix for use of things like Office, IE, the Access
frontend, etc.