[THIN] Re: A licensing question... I think.

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:54:28 -0600

I think what this means is that when your Windows 2000 server was built,
somebody selected "Per Server" mode licensing, with 10 connections,
rather than "Per User" mode.

I believe you can easily change this to "Per User" using the "Licensing"
applet in the Control Panel of the Windows 2000 server.

#11 won't be able to connect.  When they try, it just sticks at a splash
screen, but no error is ever provided.  If we disconnect one user, one
more can get on in his place.

On the Citrix Server console, it will pop up with "License usage for a
product licensed in per server mode has exceeded the maximum number of
licenses purchased and will prohibit further licenses from being
granted.  Consult the Application event log or License Manager from the
Administrative Tools folder for more information."

Here's my first point of confusion.  Administrative Tools does not
contain anything by those names.  License manager on the citrix
server is blank (licensing is on our PDC).  Event viewer:
Application Log shows an entry that reads "no license available for user
SYSTEM using product TermService 5.0"

I'm guessing this means my CALs are used up.  So I look at Terminal
Services Licensing on my PDC, pointed to my Citrix server.  It says I've
issued all my per-device licenses.  However, when I look deeper, I see
many expiration dates in the past: in one pool of 20, there are
3 2005 expiration dates, and 14 2006 expirations.

Shouldn't these 17 CALs be available for current connections?  Is there
something I need to do to make them available?
Am I even seeing the right problem?  I admit to being completely
befuddled by MS licensing.

Thanks,

Steve.

--