[THIN] Re: 64 bit hardware recommendation + best practices

  • From: "Greg Reese" <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 07:27:35 -0500

i'll second the HP/AMD recommendation.  I just got 40 BL465 C class blades
with dual AMD Opterons (four total cores) and they are sweet.  16gb of RAM
seems to be the sweet spot with price/performance.  We saw huge gains up to
16gb and then it tapered off some.

Greg

On 4/16/07, Jez <jezosaurus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/16/07, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im looking at adding 64 bit servers to our existing PS4 farm.  Which is
the
> better way to go in regards to hardware.

Stick to the same vendor / model as your 32 bit stock. HP Proliant
servers are my personal preference.

>  Is it better to get the fastest
> dual core CPU's or the slowest Quad core CPU's?.

Ask the vendor nicely. If you're lucky, you should be able to get a
couple of loan machines from them for testing.

> The fastest Quad cores are out of my budget..

And may well not be an option either. Consider an AMD based machine as
well - you might find them more cost effective.

> Also are there any guides / best practices in relation to integrating 64
bit
> into a 32 bit farm - ie should AD group policies be replicated / updated
> factor the different registry / file paths, server customisations etc
etc

As far as Windows is concerned, Windows 64bit is still Windows. So a
new 64bit server should be no different from a 32 bit server. If you
do have issues, I'd expect them to be device driver related.
SBC SITES ONLY GOOGLE SEARCH: http://www.F1U.com