[THIN] Re: 2003 question

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 17:16:24 -0500

Hmmm. Depends
2003 has two different major licensing models (really 3 but one is almost
never used)

Anyway. One is Per Device. So ANY DEVICE,that attaches to one of your
terminal servers needs a CAL. This means if a user uses a Kiosk, their work
computer and their home computer, then there are THREE Per Device CALS.

The second is per User. In the above scenario you would only need 1 cal for
that user.

For a complete guide to TS 2003 Licensing check out our white paper (exert
from out book) the Ultimate Guide to 2003 Terminal Services Licensing. (its
free) http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=154

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server