[THIN] Re: 2003 and MF 1.8

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:22:01 -0500

Inline Rick,

If part of the upgrade was implementing folder redirection and hybrid
profiles?

Well if he had used roaming profiles I would have used the migration as
a good time to implement a mandatory solution with hybrids to get around
the whole Nt 40/2003 profile combination problems. But with local
profiles he doesn't need it.

What if your application delivery didn't include nfuse, what if the
upgrade
has to be transparent?

You can still use the PN clients browsing the farm with a mixed mode
(interopability mode) farm where the 1.8 and XP server farms are named
the same etc.=20

NT 4.0 TSE/metaframe XP FR1 and Server 2003/Metaframe XP FR3 co-exist
quite
well.

Oh yeah I haven't done the nt40 and 2003 yet but the 2000 and nt 40 I
have in my larger farms work well (with profile segregation)

I've migrated about over a hundred IM/IMS packages from NT 4.0 to Server
2003 so far and then only issues have been with missing older Jet and
DAO
components which are easy to add to the IM package.=20

Packages can be easy I didn't assume he would have a problem with the
packages.

Server 2003 is actually easier than Windows 2000 in terms of application
compatibility. Per-user file associations "almost" work perfectly
(bloody
Autodesk!).

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
=20
RapidApp
Office 312.372.7188
Mobile 815.325.7618
email roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
=20

If part of the upgrade was implementing folder redirection and hybrid
profiles?

What if your application delivery didn't include nfuse, what if the
upgrade
has to be transparent?

NT 4.0 TSE/metaframe XP FR1 and Server 2003/Metaframe XP FR3 co-exist
quite
well.

I've migrated about over a hundred IM/IMS packages from NT 4.0 to Server
2003 so far and then only issues have been with missing older Jet and
DAO
components which are easy to add to the IM package.=20

Server 2003 is actually easier than Windows 2000 in terms of application
compatibility. Per-user file associations "almost" work perfectly
(bloody
Autodesk!).

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
rmack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Volante Systems
18 Heussler Terrace, Milton 4064
Queensland Australia
tel +61 7 32467704

This weeks sponsor - Emergent Online 99Point9.com
Designed to facilitate efficient resolution of your technical
server-based
questions, issues and incidents, technical support is a few mouse-clicks
away: you submit your incident-specific support requests via our online
support helpdesk, our certified engineers resolve them while you monitor
the
progress, and your systems get back to 99.9% up-time in no time.
http://www.99point9.com=3D20
This weeks sponsor - Emergent Online 99Point9.com
Designed to facilitate efficient resolution of your technical
server-based
questions, issues and incidents, technical support is a few mouse-clicks
away: you submit your incident-specific support requests via our online
support helpdesk, our certified engineers resolve them while you monitor
the
progress, and your systems get back to 99.9% up-time in no time.
http://www.99point9.com=3D20
subject
to legal professional privilege.  It is intended solely for the
addressee.
If you receive this e-mail by mistake please promptly inform us by reply
e-mail and then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy.  You
must
not disclose  or use in any way the information in the e-mail. There is
no
warranty that this email or any attachment or message is error or virus
free. It may be a private communication, and if so, does not represent
the
views of Volante group Limited.

http://www.99point9.com=20