[TheNoir] Passing Time

  • From: Johnathon Micheals <laughingcorpse07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Noir <thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 02:10:24 -0800 (PST)

Passing Time

by Anita Tessasohn

The little rat squeaked, running in hopes to get some place instead of being
stopped by a huge metallic wall. It?s little feet raced to the other side of
the small room, only to stop again. It shifted it?s head, there- a vast
clearing, why hadn?t it seen this opening sooner. It was as big as the walls
and a whole lot wider. Just as the rodent ran for the vast clearing that looked
like freedom, it felt its tail pull up, and it frantically squeaked, moving its
head around, trying to find the attacker.

Anita looked at the rodent curiously, holding its tail with her fingers and
then settled the rat on her hand. She sat cross legged, the uncomfortable
material of the standard brig bed was itchy against her skin. Anita wondered if
the captain, or whoever, would be sincere enough to replicate her a pair of
pants. Anita shrugged the thought off, staring back at the rat as it tried to
get away from her. If the rat came in, a weak point in this brig could be
exploited. But it wasn?t as if the captain would have her stay here forever.
Just a matter of time, she thought to herself as she starred upon the rat that
tried to escape her gentle grasp. She raised her arms, bringing the rat closer
to her as she just smiled and looked at it.

"You?re my new captain," Anita snickered a little.

"No, no. No, no. I?m not about to eat you my little friend. You see, your new
captain gave me the most splendid resort accommodations while I take passage on
your ship."

The rat tried to run, but Anita played with the creature, making it run in an
endless loop with her hands. Over and over while she rubbed the small
creature?s furry back before starting the loop again.

"And I owe her so much for her generosity," she rubbed the rat?s fur, turning
the rat around to face her.

She felt like beating the shit out of the captain. Killing her would have been
part of the plan, but she wanted her tidbit of fun. But she let it go. What
surprised Anita most was the fact she didn?t try anything against the guy that
escorted her. Maybe, for that split moment, she was actually feeling friendly
and hopeful that the captain took her job inquiry seriously.

The rat looked at her. A distorted image that became a giant in its view as
Anita just stared back. She shifted her head, and moved out of the bed,
settling the rat onto the ground.

"Run away, like the good little captain you are."

The rat ran, moving quickly.

"Go on, move along..." she trailed her voice into silence. The rat wasn?t
moving quick enough. And it made her frown.

It shifted it?s head, trying to find that vast clearing, as soon as it did, it
quickly made it?s way. A small shriek echoed in the room, and before the rodent
knew it was airborne, hitting the forcefield as it squeaked. The exclusion
marks of the field frizzled as the rat was shocked by pure energy. It fell,
dead.

Anita laughed, "not fast enough." She looked at the rodent.

She sat back, making an awkward sound as she just stared out and waited.