[The Daily Planet] Mother's Bearing Gifts

  • From: Rhi <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thedailyplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:05:51 -0500

"Mother's Bearing Gifts"
Princesses Diana and Selene

She hadn’t been sure what had shocked Artemis more, the fact that she asked to undergo the Ordeal, the fact that the Queen said yes, or the fact that the Queen knew she and Selene were lovers, but the expressions on the older Amazon’s face as Selene told her about it all was priceless. Selene still had a smile on her face as she made her way to her rooms. Artemis was touched and proud that Selene wanted to go through the right, but she knew the redhead’s mind would be boggled for weeks knowing that the Queen knew about them. Artemis was sexy when she was confused and Selene had wished she’d agreed to come with her but she’d suddenly decided she needed to go hunting.

Selene giggled as she pushed open the door to her chambers and then squealed at the sight waiting for her on the other side. “Mama!”

Diana smiled at her daughter as she rose from the end of the bed she’d been sitting on. “Miss me?.”

“Every minute.” Selene replied as she ran over and threw her arms around her mother’s neck. It had been nearly three months since Diana’s last visit. “Miss me?”

“Every second.” Diana replied in what had become a traditional greeting between them. She smiled brightly as she stepped back and looked her daughter over. It was more then evident that her baby wasn’t a little girl anymore but a very stunning young woman. It made her proud and broke her heart all at the same time. She looked her over a moment longer and then tilted her head a little. “There’s something different about you.”

Selene held back a blush, or at least she hoped she was holding it back. Her mother had said that each time she’d come home since she and Artemis had become lovers, but had yet to figure out what that difference was. Stepping back Selene looked down at herself and then back up at her mother. “Do I look nineteen yet?”

“Not yet.” Diana laughed before turning around and picking up two beautifully wrapped presents. She held them out to Selene and laughed as the girl’s face lit up.

“Presents!” Selene reached out to grab one but her mother pulled them back.

“You know the rule.” Diana warned teasingly. “You can’t open them until your birthday.

Selene huffed. “Uncle Kal’s no fun. My birthday isn’t for another two weeks. How am I suppose to live knowing that his and Uncle Bruce’s gifts are just sitting there screaming to be opened.”

Diana handed Selene one of the gifts knowing she wouldn’t open it. “Presents don’t scream.”

“You don’t know that.” Selene teased as she examined the package with the tag saying it was from Bruce. “It could be J’onn in disguise for all we know.”

“J’onn is a man and isn’t allowed on the island.” Diana replied as she tried not to laugh. Selene was looking at the package as if she were trying to channel Kal’s x-ray vision.

Selene was quiet for a moment and then suddenly looked up. “What do you think it is?” She asked. Her Uncle Bruce always got her something practical and useful. Uncle Kal on the other hand always got her something fun and or delicious. “Maybe he finally decided to give me a batarang.”

Diana laughed again. “I doubt it.”

“What?” Selene asked with innocence although her eyes danced with mirth. “I thought Wonder-Bat was a great idea!”

“You did that just to annoy him.” Diana replied as she placed Kal’s gift next to Bruce’s which Selene had set on one of her tables.

Selene laughed brightly. “Yeah but annoying Uncle Bruce is so much fun!”

“So Kal keeps telling me.” This time Diana feigned innocence.

Walking over to the settee by her largest windows Selene sat and then as soon as her mother was sitting beside her leaned against the older woman. “How long do you get to stay?”

“Until well after the celebrations are over.” Diana replied as she put her arms around her child. “The next two weeks are about planning, then we spend a week celebrating, and then there’s some business to be taken care of, decisions to be made, royal things to take care of, healing to do.”

That last bit seemed odd, but Selene knew what her mother meant. “You’re ok with what I want to do?”

Diana hugged her daughter tightly. “I won’t lie and tell you that it doesn’t worry and scare me, but I understand and I’m proud of you for doing it.”

Selene let go of the breath she didn’t know she was holding in. “I’m glad. This is important to me.”

“I know it is, sweetie.” Diana replied. “I’ll do whatever I have to help.”