[thebigjewel] Notes From "El Cadete" - April 25, 2007

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:41:56 -0600 (MDT)

Welcome to The Big Jewel, where we are shocked, shocked to find that
Mexican police officers do not have the proper tools to do their jobs. The
whole sordid story is in this week's piece by Tyler Smith:

Notes From "El Cadete"

By Tyler Smith

"TIJUANA, Mexico - The police department has issued about 60 slingshots to
officers in the violent border city of Tijuana, where soldiers confiscated
police weapons two weeks ago on allegations of collusion with drug
traffickers." -- Associated Press, November 23, 2006

-- Today we were out in the field, forging ahead in the battle against
corruption in the streets of Tijuana. This is what police work is all
about. It's us against them; good vs. evil in a truly biblical sense. In
the field we can make a real difference. Unfortunately, my partner Juan
Pablo forgot his slingshot, and when a gang of overweight 3rd graders took
hostages ("Put the carne back in carnicería!" they belched) at a municipal
building off the Paseo de los Héroes, they held us at bay with spitballs
and Indian rug burns until reinforcements arrived...

neilpasricha@xxxxxxxxx