[thebigjewel] Literature's Greatest Bird Flu Scares - June 6, 2007

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:18:44 -0600 (MDT)

Welcome to The Big Jewel, where we seem to be on some sort of weird animal
kick lately. It's purely coincidental, we assure you, this haphazard trail
of animal-related tales about chimpanzees, chihuahuas, and now birds. This
week, Laurence Hughes tells all he knows about the avian flu and its key
role in the classics:

Test Your Knowledge Of Literature's Greatest Bird Flu Scares

By Laurence Hughes

Identify the work of literature in which each bird flu scare appears:

A. A seagull's unnatural behavior leads to fears that it is infected with
avian flu. Previously ostracized by the flock, the gull returns showing
signs that it has visited a higher plane of existence, and now has the
power to move instantaneously to any point in the universe. While this
ability makes it "a one-in-a-million bird," the other gulls grudgingly
acknowledge that it is not normally an indicator of infection...

neilpasricha@xxxxxxxxx