[thebigjewel] Lake Delavan Days - July 12, 2006

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:15:43 -0600 (MDT)

Welcome to The Big Jewel, where every day is a holiday. In fact, the
editor is on vacation right now, which is why we are reprinting his opus
about the family vacations of his youth:

"Lake Delavan Days"

By Kurt Luchs

For others, the word "vacation" evokes idyllic childhood memories of
family togetherness and carefree summer days spent at some garden spot by
a seashore or lake. For me, "vacation" has always meant a special family
time, too -- a time where families retreat far from civilization for the
express purpose of torturing one another in an enclosed space without
distractions. It doesn't take a $90-an-hour Freudian to trace this feeling
directly back to that fateful Luchs family trip to Lake Delavan,
Wisconsin...

neilpasricha@xxxxxxxxx