[TextEditor_mcc] Re: latest "improvements"

  • From: Jens Langner <Jens.Langner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texteditor_mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:33:52 +0200

Hello Ilkka,

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:28:41 +0300, Ilkka Lehtoranta wrote:

[...]
> However I'm more concerned about newlib usage. To my knowledge in some
> (all?) OS4 versions newlib.library sets process->pr_CLibData context
> pointer. Will texteditor-mcc really work with clib2 programs too, or am
> I  missing something? Although it maybe isnt relevant for simple
> functions  like strncpy() but...?

I am also not deeply involved with newlib development but I have at least
tested it with the newlib library v3 provided by OS4 update #4 and it showed
no strange behaviour even with clib2 compiled applications. However, I will
keep that in mind and ask Jörg Strohmayer for further instructions,
suggestions about that issue.

> Which also reminds me about another thing... what about replacing
> strncpy() by robust non-braindamaged stccpy() ? I know newlib (and
> maybe  clib2 neither) dont implement it but strncpy() is highly
> inefficient.

I have already planned to replace all non-bufferoverflow safe functions like
strncpy, strncat, sprintf with buffer overflow safe variants. However, I
haven't done yet as it doesn't seem to be a big issue for texteditor.mcc. In
fact I can only spot about 7 references to strncpy() for exmaple which we
would have to replace by strlcpy() (not stccpy!!)

cheers,
jens
--
Jens Langner                                               Ph: +49-351-4716545
Rißweg 27b

355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible simulation.
-- Unknown

TextEditor ML   - //www.freelists.org/list/texteditor_mcc
Listserver help - mailto:texteditor_mcc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=HELP
Bugtracker......: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=731469&group_id=135025