[texbirds] xmas at anahuac w/pics

  • From: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 18:56:07 -0600

Xmas @anahuac! Got there a bit after dawn, and miricle of miracles there
was not a wwhisper of wind until about 8:30AM or so. Clear as a bell,
and chilly 40deg  Below 50 until late morning.  Took a beanpot crock of
beef stew, and accessories, and had a picnic!

3 Bald Eagles (all juvenile)

Ring-necked Ducks
Ruddy Ducks
Mallard
Mottled
Teal Blue-winged all that we saw anyway.
Fulvous & Black-bellied Whistlers

Not large duck numbers though.

Herons
Egrets
Rails
2 Roseates
1 White-faced Ibis,  many white/common ibis.

Raptors galore!  Even a stray Mississippi Kite (not far up the entrance
road from the maingate).  Harriers seemed to be everywhere.

6 Vermillion Flycatchers (4 at the main hdqrs and 2 at the skillern
parking area)  A good crowd of watchers were present.  Nice to see as
there was only the one male last year.

Kinglets
Orange crown

Several sparrows mostly Savannah and White-crowned (those are the ones
we could identify easily, there were others)

Sow Geese numbers down from the Thanksgiving day visit  maybe 3-4
thousand, resting/feeding areas were much farrther away.  Probably have
eaten most of the easy stuff.

3-400 White-fronted Geese   The vast majority were east of Pear Orchard
road and above the main county rd to the refuge.

Grebes in almost uncountable numbers, as well as the Coots.  Several
Moorhens.

Quite an extraordinary day for bird watching out there.  A few of the
highlights are linked below:

Bald Eagle Juvenile
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jx7NhiPYWBI/VJ1KlfMNGOI/AAAAAAAAFDo/HuXHI86PKnA/s800/orig-9649.jpg
White-fronted Geese and Ring-necked Ducks (at Shoveler Pond)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3X9n95xrAeE/VJ1LAseZv5I/AAAAAAAAFD4/ZN2tIchKOG8/s800/orig-9674.jpg
White-fronted Geese (east of refuge)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GCGf68ooNCE/VJ1KApIGXuI/AAAAAAAAFC4/4Vgm8oCU2Jc/s800/orig-3145.jpg
White-faced Ibis