[texbirds] west Texas hummingbirds

  • From: Kelly Bryan <kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 08:44:03 -0500

So far hummingbird migration has been slower than normal; however, with
recent rains there are plenty of food and nectar resources across the
landscape.  There is currently no need for birds to congregate at feeder
stations.  High pressure has moved in recently and the hot dry weather may
change that in short order.  Calliope Hummingbirds are few and far between
so far and only one Allen's has been found.  Magnificent Hummingbirds are
also very scarce.  A couple of other recent highlights.
Anna's Hummingbird - we caught a juvenile male yesterday among 50 birds
banded.  That along with the female banded in July provide unprecedented
early records for this late fall migrant.  As stated previously there are
two other summer records, birds that spent the summer in the Davis
Mountains in previous years.  There is one other late August record for an
early migrant Anna's.  Otherwise, they are not expected here until
mid-September at the earliest. If this marks a pattern of change or just an
abnormal year, we should know by the end of August.

Broad-tailed X Black-chinned Hybrid - we caught and banded our 6th
individual of this hybrid combination yesterday.  I know of 3 others that
were photographed here in the Davis Mountains but not banded.  Twenty years
ago mostly Broad-tails nested at the higher elevations of the mountains but
the drought has forced Black-chins up into the Broad-tail's domain,
creating the opportunity for interbreeding.

--
Kelly B Bryan
Fort Davis, Texas

To follow the progress of my hummingbird project go to:
http://westtexashummingbirds.com/
To support this project, other bird projects and our educational outreach
in west Texas go to:  http://www.westtexasavianresearch.org/