[texbirds] Re: use of calls and recordings in national parks

  • From: Ronnie Kramer <ronniekramer1964@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tripp.davenport@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 17:11:08 -0500

I found the following;
Title 50 Code of Federal Regulations § 27.51 (Wildlife & Fisheries)
Disturbing, injuring, and damaging plants and animals.
(a) Disturbing, injuring, spearing, poisoning, destroying, collecting or
attempting to disturb, injure, spear, poison, destroy or collect any plant
or animal on any national wildlife refuge is prohibited except by special
permit unless otherwise permitted under this subchapter C.
(b) [Reserved]

Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations § 2.2 (Parks, Forests, Public Property)
Wildlife protection.
(a) The following are prohibited:
(2) The feeding, touching, teasing, frightening or intentional disturbing
of wildlife nesting, breeding or other activities.

What is disturbing?  I don't think you have to argue a disturbance must
have a negative effect.  Merely modifying the behavior of an animal, such
that it flies toward you rather than continue whatever it was doing, is a
disturbance of the animals normal routine or behavior.

Personally I have nothing against using playback to call birds in
low-traffic areas.

Ronnie Kramer
Austin