[texbirds] Re: (updated): Harris County Grace's Warbler--photographed Dec 18-entered into ebird late p.m. Dec 21

  • From: Graham Montgomery <montgomery.graham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 07:48:31 -0600

Hi all, I was able to refind the Grace's warbler that Martha found on the
18th. The site is in Seabrook (Harris County) on the north side of Red
Bluff Rd, across the street from Friendship Park.
If you're interested in looking for it, here are instructions to the site
where it has been hanging out:

------------------
*Directions* (it boils down to just finding the grove of pine trees on the
north side of red bluff rd; it's more simple than these very specific
instructions might suggest). Note that google maps seems to be out of date
at some resolutions and doesn't show the field that's been cleared:

1) Park in the Friendship park parking lot and cross the street to the
start of the path heading east, parallel to the road. There's a little sign
and it shouldn't be hard to find.

2) Start walking east on the path, then move off the path to the left
(north) into the field when it's easy to.

3) Now that you're in the field, keep walking east to the corner of it,
where there are a bunch of pine trees. The GRWA was high in these pines,
associating with a flock of Pine warblers. I found it after waiting about
15 minutes, just looking through the warbler flock. I imagine it moves
around a bit, and any pine trees in this area would be good to check.
-------------------

Here's a poor record shot from yesterday:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/72340495@N06/23817836242

A fantastic find by Martha! Thanks to her for being so helpful in refinding
it.

Best,

Graham Montgomery
Houston, TX

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Very Cool!! A keen eye! I think there are only two or so recent records
pretty much east of the Pecos R. I know of one that Noreen Baker had near
Junction in 2011 and I recall one from the Corpus area in 2013(?) but
forget by whom. It is easy to imagine the species being over looked
especially in pine woods. It is a Western year. Saw that there were 8
Verdins on the Balcones CBC and another was in Liberty Hill, all the
Pyrruloxias. Will the Green-taileds start moving over in another mass
invasion? Humdinger of a find Martha ET AL..
Brush Freeman
Senior Wildlife Biologist/Partner. Bio-Spatial Services Inc, TXESA,
Independent consulting.
www.biospatialservices.com <http://www.biospatialsevices.com>
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 4:36 AM, Berner Family <
dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

See Below (Dec 22 email from Martha Hood in response to my ebird review
query).
Check ebird for more details. I sent Graham Montgomery an inquiry about
his own Grace's warbler ebird report from Dec 22. Will check for response
in the morning.

John BernerW. Houston
*************************
Hi John,
I was expecting to hear from you! Sorry to miss you at the count but I
hope the Houston count went well. I missed you by just a couple of hours
at Tom's house (Hooded Oriole)

Here are the photos - - some not so good but left them in there anyways.

http://library-static.snapfish.com/library/share?w=snapfish_us&c=snapfish&l=en_US#WYpFn0y0WEyd79wI88qVjg/AUS/27938266536/SNAPFISH

The bird hung out in a pine tree and also a pine warbler was hanging
around. What was distinguishing was the yellow throat and white belly -
-
then I noticed the yellow eyebrow (thick) and that it had wingbars but
every so slight specks on the side. Bird was constantly moving so the
photos are not the best (and I've been needing to send my camera in but
wanted to wait until after CBC) - - White under tail and solid grey back

Bill Baker and Nick Block have shared their opinion that this is a
Grace's
Warbler.

Let me know what you think too - - Doesn't seem like they have ever been
seen in Harris County before. . . .

Regards,

Martha

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission