[texbirds] unusual gull McFaddin

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 18:25:19 -0700 (PDT)

My apologies for being so late. I wasn't going to post on Texbirds, just ask a
few trusted birders,
but maybe some Jefferson County birders may want to try chase this birds.
I saw this bird April 2 at McFaddin (pass Sabine Woods), on the beach, that is
just before the road going west is closed (across from the
buildings there at the end. Sorry if I'm not clear.) I was on my way to
Lousiana and didn't get back until now. Had no computer access.

Looked like a Glaceous Gull, all white body, white tail and wings, some gray at
tail base and every white body feather and some wing feathers were tipped in
light gray,
like a spotted owl. But it was a tad smaller than the Herrings and it had a
smaller, slimmer bill, all dark, not  bicolored. No heavy bent under the lower
bill.
Pinkish feet and "dovelike" head, compared to Herrings' head shape, It has a
hurt foot that it cannot stand on and didn't like to fly so it might still be
in the area. In a large flock of other
royal terns, foresters, a few common, Herrings. Actually not that many laughing
gulls. Many of the gulls had hurt feet, might be they were all attacked by
fish?  Anyway,
I wonder if Iceland/Thayer, whatever.  I'm no gull expert.  The bill is the
main reason I think it's not a Glaceous.

Carolyn Dill
Houston, TX