[texbirds] third woodpecker species nesting here

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 08:41:51 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Texbirds,

This morning a female Downy Woodpecker was feeding her fledge in our yard.
This probably sounds ho-hum to you Downy-rich folks, but it is a
first for this location.  Up until now I have only seen DOWOs here as
winterers.  In the almost 6 years we have lived here I have wished for them
to stay for breeding season, but they never did.  Today they joined my
yardlist of nesting Woodpeckers that includes Golden-fronted and
Ladder-backed.

I guess it doesn't take much to get me excited...hooray!

Lori Markoff
far southwest Austin