[texbirds] the location of a McAllen, TX roost site for migratory Purple Martins

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 23:31:13 -0500

After I (Rex) returned from Hargill today (08/02/14), having seen that
wonderful find of Dan's, the  Collared Plover, my wife, Birgit, and I
decided to go out to dinner tonight. We left at a very fortuitous time, for
no more than two blocks from our McAllen home we discovered the roost of the
migratory Purple Martins. It is in the shopping center that is southwest of
the intersection of McColl Road and US-83 Expressway. The area of the roost
would seem to be immediately to the south of the access road for US-83
Expressway, and it appears to be bounded, roughly, by McColl Road and South
Cynthia on the east and west ends, respectively. To its south side lies
Ridge Road. This evening we watched the martins coming in to roost from
perhaps 8:25 - 8:40 PM, but did not stay long as we already were running
late for dinner. There is a Hooters restaurant beside the access road in the
area of the roost; also, an Office Max at the south side of the shopping
area. As usual, the martins seem to be using the Live Oak trees to roost. So
far as we could see, they were ignoring the palm trees (but we are not
certain of that). Tonight they came  in huge, dense, circulating clouds of
birds, moving lower and lower, and,  gradually landing in the oaks, but we
had no way of estimating their number. Some other folks already were there
enjoying them tonight, and others were coming in as we prepared to leave.

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX