[texbirds] Re: [texbirds]Plover@xxxxxxx,

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 16:16:09 -0500

TexBirders:

I can remember a person a few decades ago who was proud about spotlighting
Ferruginous Pygmy-Owls below Falcon Dam.  I had to ask the person why in the
world a person would want to spotlight a diurnal bird.  Back then I
photographed an FEPO below Falcon Dam in bright sunlight while not flushing
the bird.  Both of the Long-eared Owls seen in the past fifteen or so years
at San Antonio's Mitchell Lake Audubon Center were flushed by overeager
birders who either had to get the perfect view or photograph.  My
photographs of those birds, and the 2012 Flammulated Owl at South Padre
Island, were "marred" because there were branches in front of them. In each
instance I somehow survived that crisis. An all cases the vast majority of
the observers behaved like respectful adults.

Onward!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins
San Antonio TX