[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Waller Co. Grasshopper Sp. Comal Co. Lazuli bunting

  • From: Harvey Laas <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:54:18 -0500

Spent most of the weekend on our place in Comal Co. tending to stuff there
and was able to get in a little birding. The best bird was a male Lazuli
bunting that came to drink at the pond Saturday morning. Also had a
Northern waterthrush and a solitary sandpiper at the pond.

This afternoon back at home in Waller Co. I found at least 5 grasshopper
sparrows scattered about and singing away. Interestingly, 3 were in a
field of winter ryegrass that is only about 4 to 6 inches high.  The
dickcissel invasion of the past 10 days or so continues. They are just
everywhere in large numbers. Other than that the dirth of migrants
continues.  I finally had my first painted bunting of the year this
afternoon along with a female common yellowthroat.  That brings my Spring
warbler total for the place up to 2 N. waterthrushes and 1 c. yellowthroat.

Harvey Laas
10 miles N. of Brookshire
What a difference a year makes.

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds