[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Sabine Woods Tropical Mockingbird 4/23/12

  • From: David Hanson <DHanson139@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:56:55 -0400

I arrived at Sabine Woods about 12:30 PM and I was quickly pointed to  the
right spot for the Tropical Mockingbird. That out of the way I started
hunting for the Black-whiskered Vireo. Over the next 5.5 hrs I found 4  species
of Vireo but could not find a whisker on any of them. There were quite a
few people looking for it including a few who saw it yesterday several times.
When I left at 6:30 PM there was no sign of it but there were 8-10 cars
still in  the parking area. There were reports it had been seen earlier this
mourning  but not in the afternoon. List for the afternoon below and a link to
pictures of  the Mockingbird with 2 in flight and a few others.

_http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBN
QB#!i=1809955393&k=6fr9t38_
(http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQB#!i=1809955393&k=6fr9t38)

List:
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
White-eyed Vireo
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Northern Parula
Veery
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
Brown Thrasher
Ovenbird
Scarlet Tanager
Summer Tanager
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole
Gray Catbirds
Northern Cardinal
Great-tailed Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Red-winged Blackbird
Northern Mockingbird
Tropical Mockingbird
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Chuck-will's-widow
Blue Jay
Eastern Kingbird
Carolina Chickadee

I had people tell me they had seen Blackburnian and Magnolia Warblers and
right before I left I had a report of possible Bobolinks in the field behind
the  woods but I did not personaly see any of these three.

David Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds