[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Re: [texbirds] High Island, TOS Sabine Woods 4/28 and 4/29

  • From: jgstudio@xxxxxxx <jgstudio@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:54:58 -0600

I too was at WT Jones this morning and had all of the birds Chris saw/heard.
The Brown-headed Nuthatches and Pine Warblers gave me a bad crick in the neck
as they were often straight overhead. I did manage a glimpse of Bachman's
Sparrow before it leaped from a pine bough. A Yellow-breasted Chat filled the
area with its various loud calls from an uncharacteristically high perch as
well.

 Went from there to Liberty to see if I could rustle up a Swallow-tailed Kite.
At about 10:50 the thermal were right for the raptors and I saw four
Mississippi Kites soaring from Municipal Park. On hunch, I drove west on the
city streets  and found a historic cemetery with an open field behind it near
the Trinity River. I immediately saw three Kites interacting and one was a
Swallow-tailed. It was fun to see how much more agile the STKI was in
comparison. These birds seemed to be playing.

John Groves
El Paso