[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] My 100th yard species - Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:11:17 -0700

I have lived near the intersection of 34th and Quaker (
Greetings All:

I have lived near the intersection of 34th and Quaker (Lubbock) since the
summer of 2004.  The neighborhood was suburban at one time but is increasingly
urban in terms of vegetation and other habitat features.  I have made every
effort to make the yard critter-friendly - planted live oaks, planted bird- and
butterfly-friendly perennials and shrubs, added some static water features,
added seed and hummingbird feeders - and slowly, but surely, the yard list grew.

My yard list finally hit 99 late in 2011 and I posted the list to several folk
and asked them to take a guess at #100.  Most folk went along the lines of an
overflying raptor, wader, or shorebird; a couple thought maybe an odd western
thrasher or sparrow (given what the past winter was like) - nobody figured on a
neotropical migrant (as my warbler list was already in surprisingly good shape)
and, consequently, we all got it wrong (including myself - I was with the
overflying raptor, wader, or shorebird crowd).

Yesterday afternoon - just before heading out to Clapp Park I scanned the back
yard to see if there were any hummingbirds at the feeders and - much to my
surprise - caught a gorgeous male Summer Tanager in the act of bathing in one
of the bird baths.

What a great bird to hit 100 with and, so far as I know, the first report of a
migrant tanager in the region this season!

Anthony 'Fat Tony' He
TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
wetson; Lubbock