[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] MacGillivary's Warbler - Edith L. Moore Sanctuary - Houston

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:33:12 -0500

Located a classic and cooperative adult male MacGillivary's Warbler in
Edith L. Moore Nature Sanctuary this afternoon. The bird was present from
at least 3:30pm until 6:30pm and is probably still hanging around. At least
three others were able to get good looks at the bird over the course of the
three hours. The bird was not singing but was calling frequently. For those
looking for the bird in the morning, for the entire three hours it was
moving around the brushy areas between the maintenance buildings and the
right side of the pond, generally feeding on the ground or up to 2 feet off
the ground. It very much favored the area just to the right off the pond
with the large downed tree/limb. I'd definitely suggest learning the call
note as that was the easiest way to track it. Still a few other birds
around including Nashville, Kentucky, and Hooded Warblers, Ovenbird, and
Blue Headed Vireo, but I was a bit distracted by the MacGillivary's most of
the time I was there.

Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds