[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Lubbock County Birding 4/17 and 4/18

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 23:46:40 -0500

Greetings,

I have been bad about posting to Texbirds lately. Most everything notable ends
up on the Texbirds Facebook page or on the local listserv. I'll fill those
interested few in on birds seen around Lubbock lately.

4/17
A birder found an adult Little Blue Heron at Leftwich park, so I ran out there
and was able to photograph it. I think this is the 35th record for the region.

I found a Common Poorwill at Clapp Park. Well photographed and observed. While
these breed in the county, Clapp is not a typical place for the species.
I also found a singing Plumbeous Vireo at near the berm.

4/18
I found a Say's Phoebe at Ransom Canyon. Ducks and large shorebirds are moving
through that area.

Guy Park had a Clay-colored Sparrow. These have been hard to come by this
spring in the region.

I found an American Bittern at McAllister Park. Those that know the playa will
understand the craziness of the sighting. The bird was hiding behind a piece of
trash and a small playa weed out in the middle of the playa. I passed it off as
trash until it flew. This should be something like the 29th record for the
region.

Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX

Sent from my iPhone
TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds